Friday, July 25, 2008

JULY 25, 2008

WOW...
Five months 'til Christmas.

YOUR FINAL FOUR DETERMINED...
Okay, so all week we've asked you to email us your Final Four. We got close to 50 responses... Here was the winner in each category. Refresh your memory on all 64 choices here...

Bracket One...
You, like me, picked CLOSE TO EVERYTHING. It is true... Bakersfield is within driving distance to... Pismo Beach, L.A., Hollywood, Disneyland, San Francisco, and Las Vegas!

Bracket Two...
The Kern County Fair... a good choice! Some of you said the Kern County Fair is your pick because it represents everything good about Bakersfield... local entertainers, local chefs, local photographers, local businesses, etc.

Bracket Three...
Relay For Life. As you know, I am a proud supporter of this, but I think one of our Breeze Family Members put it best... "I picked Relay For Life because it shows how many caring, giving people Bakersfield has".

Bracket Four...
Luigi's. A Bakersfield institution for over 100 years, I believe. And the Butterfinger Pie makes it that much more deserving.

So vote over the weekend at www.977thebreeze.com on your favorite of these... and we'll keep track of the Bakersfield Life official voting... I wonder how many of our Final Four will make it...

VALLEY PLAZA
We talked about the latest incident at the Valley Plaza this morning, and got a wide variety of opinions. Everyone agreed on this-- it is a sad day when you can no longer go to the mall during daylight hours and feel completely secure that you will be safe.

Let me be clear, this is not an indictment of local law enforcement or mall management. They do a fine job, and as one caller indicated today, "Kids who want to break the law, are going to do so whenever and wherever they can".

However, it's disturbing that there have been three separate incidents in as many years where a violent attack has occured on the mall premises. I am a patron of the mall, and will continue to be, but I must admit I hesitate to send Julie and Gracie there on their own while I'm not around.

What do you think? Send your opinions to bmichaels@977thebreeze.com. My opinions, of course, do not necessarily reflect those of other personalities on 97.7 The Breeze, or of station management.