Thursday, January 3, 2008

THE WEDDING RING SITUATION


Okay, here's the deal...

I don't know what to do. After months of putting off getting my wedding ring re-sized, this time I've finally lost it. Sort of. I know where it is (or at least I think I do), I just can't get to it. When my hands get wet, the ring gets really slippery and slides off my finger. On Sunday night, it slipped, hit the ground (we heard it hit and bounce), and as far as we can tell, bounced up into our "island" counter in the middle of our kitchen.

I have looked EVERYWHERE else. This is the only place I think it could be. So what should I do?

Option #1
We can tear the panels off the bottom of the island, so I can see if it fell inside. The panels are on pretty well. We'd have to try really hard not to break them (or we'd have to buy new ones and worry about matching colors), and then re-attach them with hot glue and nails when we get the ring out.

Option #2
Buy a new wedding ring.

I have already tried getting it out with a vaccum, and with a pen that has duct tape on the end. The pictures may be misleading, it's hard to fit anything in those holes. Again, we're not 100% sure the ring is even in there.

Julie is being very gracious about the whole thing, even if she did remind me for the better part of a year to get it re-sized. This is what happens when you lose weight and your fingers get thinner! She says the ring cost $300, and if we were to damage the kitchen counter and have to repair it for more than that, then we should almost consider leaving it. For that matter, if you hire a professional to get it out and it costs a lot... same idea.

But can you really walk away from the actual ring you got on your wedding day?

What do you think I should do? Email me at bmichaels@977thebreeze.com! Any idea is welcome!