AMERICAN IDOL NOTES
Last night, it wasn't a surprise to see Phil Stacey, Gina Glocksen, and Haley Scarnato in the Bottom 3. We predicted that here. However, it was a surprise for both JD Roberto (the host of American Idol Extra) and I that Gina (not Phil, not Haley) went home. JD said Gina was a little surprised, but was emotional more than anything else. For Gina, it's been a four year journey as she's auditioned each of the last four years, finally getting to Hollywood last year, and then into the voting rounds this year. JD said she's one of the most liked contestants, and knew she had been outsung by Lakisha Jones, Melinda Doolittle, and Jordin Sparks in recent weeks. JD also shared what it's like working on AI Extra. They have no advance notice as to who's being eliminated, so they prepare for everyone all week, and work from 6:30 PM (Idol films at 6 PM on the West Coast-- so it's 9 PM LIVE on the East Coast) until Midnight each Wednesday taping the program. They also do pre-taped interviews with the returning contestants throughout the week. Tonight, you'll see Justin Guarini and Kellie Pickler.
SAVE ON ENERGY COSTS
Here are six ways you can cut your energy use at home... and save some money in the process...
1) CLOSE VENTS YOU'RE NOT USING. What's the point of heating or cooling a room that nobody's using? Close the vents to those specific rooms. . . and you'll save a bunch of cash from electric and / or gas costs.
2) TURN OFF LIGHTS. Just as you would do with vents in rooms you're not using, turn the lights off that don't really need to be on in certain rooms.
3) USE THE OVEN RANGE MODERATELY. Only use the oven or stove when you absolutely HAVE to. These eat up a ton of energy. Try to use your microwave or toaster when you can.
4) USE NIGHTLIGHTS IN BATHROOMS. The nightlights prevent you from having to switch the lights on and off when you get up at night.
5) USE THE SHADES. During the winter, keep the shades and blinds open to help warm up the house. . . and in the summer, keep the blinds shut to keep it cooler.
6) INSTALL CEILING FANS. It's a pretty good idea to have ceiling fans. They circulate the air well in the summer, which keeps you cool. . . and when you put them in reverse during the winter, they draw warm air through the house.
FIVE THINGS MEN DO AND DON'T WANT TO HEAR ON A DATE:
WHAT MEN WANT TO HEAR ON A DATE:
1) "THEN WHAT HAPPENED?" Men like to think their lives are reasonably interesting. So, when he's telling you a story, get ACTIVELY interested... don't keep trying to change the subject or just keep saying "Uh huh." Show he's engaging you.
2) "THAT'S PRETTY IMPRESSIVE." If he tells you about an accomplishment... getting promoted, competing in a triathlon, whatever... that's because he's proud of it. So, feed his ego a little and give him some dap. EVERY man likes ego boosts.
3) "WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU'RE NOT AT WORK?" By finding out about his hobbies and his passions, you show you're trying to get a complete picture of him... and that you're not just interested in his current and future earning potential.
4) "I'D LIKE TO GET YOUR OPINION." Men like feeling useful... so, when you ask for advice on buying a TV or dealing with your boss, he'll be really excited to help you out.
5) "THANK YOU." When he compliments how you look, thank him. When he pays for dinner, thank him. When he walks you to the car, thank him. He'll be happy to know that you appreciate what he's doing, and that you don't just EXPECT it.
WHAT MEN DON'T WANT TO HEAR ON A DATE:
1) "MY LAST BOYFRIEND..." No matter WHAT you say about him, the mere fact that you mentioned your ex shows he's on your mind NOW.
2) "DO YOU MIND IF I TAKE THIS CALL?" He DOES mind. He won't say he minds, but he'll be annoyed the entire time you're on the phone. So, unless it's a serious emergency, just let it go to voicemail.
3) "WHO DO YOU THINK WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT?" Early in the dating process, it's best to avoid political subjects... Have FUN on these dates; save the heated debates for later on.
4) "AND THEN I FOUND THIS CUTE PAIR OF SANDALS..." He doesn't want to hear about your shopping success. He's really not going to have much to contribute to the conversation. Stick to subjects that appeal to both of you.
5) "HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT HAVING A FAMILY?" This WILL scare him off (as it would you)... even if HE wants a family too, bringing it up this early on is too intense.
A Chinese woman survived a plunge from a sixth-floor balcony thanks to a convenient pile of excrement which broke her fall, local media said.
The accident happened when the woman was hanging out laundry on Monday in Nanjing, capital of the eastern province of Jiangsu, the Kuaibao tabloid said on its Web site (www.kuaibao.net).
"Workers happened to be emptying the building's septic tank, which had not been tended for a long time and had regularly blocked sewage pipes," the newspaper said.
"She probably stretched out too far and fell ... right on to a 20 cm-thick heap of excrement." The woman suffered only slight injuries, the newspaper said.
In March, a six-year-old girl broke only her left leg when she fell six floors on to a pile of snow in the northeastern province of Heilongjiang.